Saturday, January 8, 2011

On Birthdays

Growing up in an Asian household, I was taught that on your birthday, you throw a party/have a dinner and invite your friends. Since your friends bring you presents, you pay for the party/their dinner. Everything is dandy.

As I got to college and experienced real American culture, I learned that on your birthday, you go out to dinner and your friends pay for you. Slickdeal!

However, this may put you in an awkward situation. On one hand, you don't want to invite everyone you know to "Come celebrate my birthday! BONUS: pay for my dinner!" On the other, you really do want to have dinner with friends on your birthday.

As such, it leaves you with a few options:

1. Have a really good friend who will automatically round up everyone else for you. This only works if you have a friend who will do this without being asked.

2. Don't have dinner - throw a party, buy booze, and have your guests bring more booze.

When you're between the ages of one and twelve, your parents will automatically plan parties for you. There's none of that awkwardness where you wait around hoping someone will remember your birthday and plan an outing. Even if the outing gets planned, I still feel uncomfortable being the center of attention for 24 hrs. I start making a mental list of all the attendees and become concerned about whether I was there to celebrate their birthdays.



In America, your birthday is the one day you can do whatever the shit you want and no one can say anything. People who hate you will be nice to you, your facebook friends who you've only seen once will pretend to care about you. Then the next day things go back to normal and no one comments or "likes" your cute cat picture.

The best scenario, I've found, is option three:

3. Share your birthday with someone. If someone has the same birthday as you, you don't have to feel guilty because you plan each others' dinners! Of course, if you share a dinner then it will suck for your friends who have to pay 2x.

I miss my birthday-sharer. She goes back to school too early now. No more running next door and yelling "It's your birthday!!!" to each other.

Sooo... who wants to plan my birthday dinner/outing/party this year??

1 comment:

Ayumi said...

insightful (1)

who is your birthday sharer?