Sunday, September 27, 2009

RescueTime rescues time

So for the past week I've been using this handy time tracking tool called RescueTime. It basically keeps track of the time you spend on all your windows and categorizes them from -2 (very distracting) to +2 (very productive).

It's kinda fun. You can tell them you want to "get focused" for however many minutes, and they'll block all your "very distracting" sites.

(I have yet to actually use this feature. Like I'm going to let some program tell me what I can and can't do)

Then they give you detailed reports of how long you've been productive/unproductive.

More productive during the weekend - to be expected.

It also breaks it down by categories.

For some reason it doesn't realize how much TV I watch on my computer...

I kind of feel they should have a more forceful version. Maybe something that includes an angry pop-up that appears when you've spent too much money shopping online. Or a witty message that shows before they destroy my farm on Farmville. Or even automatic IM responses that will alienate all my buddies and prevent them from IMing me. Maybe it'll happen when I start setting time goals.

But the best part is, when your productivity becomes positive, you get this teeny tiny ribbon:

Huzzah! All that hard work and they couldn't even make the ribbon a little bigger. It'd be nice if it flashed and glittered a little too. Something else they should add to the more forceful version.

3 comments:

Anne time tracking developer said...

Rescue time is pretty. I develop a similar time tracking add-in for Outlook, but it's not as pretty, it's a bit more practical (an Outlook calendar that shows you you spent 9:15-9:30 working on a particular Word doc, then 9:30-9:50 on Facebook etc..)

Maybe I should make it prettier ;-)

Elaine said...

That is VERY cool. I may need to try that out. But I agree with you...I don't want some program telling me what to do!! I'll do what I want! :P

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog!! I really appreciate it!

Theo Chao said...

loser.